Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Are You Ready?

A few weeks ago, I got another interesting update from my dad about my brother Caleb. I can't believe it took me so long to post it! I guess grad school can do that to you.

Key Words: Are You Ready?
By Cliff Jones, Sr.

I just learned something that works with Caleb. I can ask and tell him over and over to do something, but if he is feeling resistant, he won't do it.

But I found out tonight that if you pose it as a question, it seems to work.

I was asking over and over for him to get undressed for his bath, but he kept circling the house for a half hour.

Finally, I said, "Are you ready for your bath?" Then he started saying he was ready and got undressed and got in the tub.

I asked him to stand so I could wash his body and he wouldn't. Then I said, "Are you ready to stand up?" And he got up.

I've done this a few times now and it seems to be a key. Maybe the phrase "Are you ready?" gives him a moment to get his mind ready for what you are about to say.

Anything that works, right? I'm going to try some more things. Maybe a negative, like "Are you ready to stop opening the refrigerator?"

1 comment:

  1. A whole lot of people on the autism spectrum are very *self-directed* and react resistantly to any suggestion of coercion. In contrast, asking an open-ended question -- to which "not yet" might be the response -- is just different.

    Try "Are you finished opening the refrigerator?"

    ReplyDelete

If you'd like to submit a profile, please read my first post and send your reply to "jones@vokation.com".